Texas state law forbids 173 of Texas' 254 counties from adopting a fire code, based on population. Within those counties:
- 150 have no full-time fire departments.
- 137 have companies that use hazardous chemicals covered by a mandatory risk-management plan.
- 47 have companies that use chemicals the U.S. Department of Homeland Security considers risks for terrorist or criminal misuse.
- 26 have industries that rank among the top 100 toxic air polluters in Texas.
- An undetermined number have chemicals that the Occupational Safety and Health Administration says pose severe risks to workers and the public.